MetaWear - Accelerometers and iOS API Versions

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the accelerometers on our MetaWears, and the iOS API. 

I started developing our app with version 1.7.0 of the iOS API, using a MetaWear. In code, the MetaWear's accelerometer was showing as being of type `MBLAccelerometerMMA8452Q` (which I was then casting to, to use the free-fall detection). 

We then tried to use our app with a second MetaWear. The accelerometer on this device was also shown as being of type `MBLAccelerometerMMA8452Q`. However, the free-fall detection was no longer working. I upgraded the iOS API (via CocoaPods) to version 1.9.3 (the latest version). Since doing this, the accelerometer on the second device is shown as being of type `MBLAccelerometerBMI160` (I can't check the first MetaWear, as the battery has become detached). 

My questions: I thought the type (in code) indicated the actual, physical type of the accelerometer on the device (with different types having different capabilities); is this not correct? Is it possible/expected that I should see different accelerometer types, for the same device, between different iOS API versions?

Depending on the answer to those questions, I'd also like to know if it's possible to detect free-fall with the `MBLAccelerometerBMI160` accelerometer?

Thanks!

Comments

This discussion has been closed.