Issue installing metawear

Hi all,

I have run into an issue when trying to install metawear. My pip is both installed and up to date; however, I noticed that the 'pip freeze' command will not display any packages that have been installed.

I have looked into the environment variables to see if that is the problem. This is what I have so far:

Please let me know if there are more details I should provide. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Eric,

Yes we did. The only difference is that we are using MSBuild 15.0 instead of 14.0 so our bin file was in a different location.

• Update: I have changed the environmental variables but still encounter an error while compiling.

I also have Python 3 installed in case that makes a difference.

• You are possibly missing Windows file.

Can you please go through this installation first: https://mbientlab.com/tutorials/Windows.html

Install everything through the VS installer and when it is all done, try to run the .PY script again.

• Everything that the tutorial requires is installed. This is why I am thinking the issue may be with environmental variables.

• Can you run other python scripts (non metawear)?
    Can you check that metawear is properly installed and compiled?

• I have not been able to install other python scripts. For example I tried ‘pip install warble’ and get the same error.

When I use ‘pip freeze’, no packages are displayed which is shown in one of the pictures above.

• edited April 2019

Can you execute msbuild from the command line? If so, which version is selected?

What are the contents of the "install-record.txt" file mentioned in the red error message?

@tpgutowski said:
    I have not been able to install other python scripts. For example I tried ‘pip install warble’ and get the same error.

Installing warble doesn't provide any useful information as that is the oqckage failing to install.

Try installing something else.

• This is the message I get when executing MSBuild. I tried it under multiple paths because I was not sure which is correct.

When I try to install 'wheels' or 'pybabel', this is the result:

I tried finding the 'install-record.txt' file but it does not seem to exist. This is all that I could find.

• I also tried 'pip install Babel' and 'pip install Sphinx', both of which worked fine.

• Hrm, ok. Try building the Warble C code directly.

1. Download the pywarble archive from pypi (https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/84/6b/b46e72840edad09c1effc01f20e31eb7e5281ac16415bebfdf267c70c05c/warble-1.1.0.tar.gz).
    2. Extract the package contents.
    3. Navigate to "clibs/warble/vs2017".
    4. Build the solution with Msbuild.
  • I just tried downloading the pywarble file however it downloads as a GZ file instead of a folder. Since I can't open the file I cannot navigate to clibs/warble/vs2017.

• Hi all, I am having the same problem, followed the last steps, and get:

for your help, thanks

• @tpgutowski said:
    I just tried downloading the pywarble file however it downloads as a GZ file instead of a folder. Since I can't open the file I cannot navigate to clibs/warble/vs2017.

Don't skip step #2.

@gabyc said:
    Hi all, I am having the same problem, followed the last steps, and get:

Did you go through the windows setup tutorial?

• Eric,

I could not extract anything from a folder because a file was downloaded instead of a compressed folder. I can send a screenshot later to clarify.

• Did you go through the windows setup tutorial?

Yes, I followed all the steps of the tutorial. [https://mbientlab.com/tutorials/Windows.html]

• I add log. Any help is appreciated,
    kind regards

• edited April 2019

@gabyc said:
    I add log. Any help is appreciated,
    kind regards

Search for where "platform.winmd" is located on your machine. On a related note, where did you install VS 2017?

• @Eric said:
    Hrm, ok. Try building the Warble C code directly.

1. Download the pywarble archive from pypi (https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/84/6b/b46e72840edad09c1effc01f20e31eb7e5281ac16415bebfdf267c70c05c/warble-1.1.0.tar.gz).
    2. Extract the package contents.
    3. Navigate to "clibs/warble/vs2017".
    4. Build the solution with Msbuild.

I was finally able to extract the package. When I try executing MSBuild this is what I get:

• @Eric said:

@gabyc said:
    kind regards

Search for where "platform.winmd" is located on your machine. On a related note, where did you install VS 2017?

The location is; C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\VC\vcpackages

• @gabyc said:

@Eric said:

@gabyc said:
    kind regards

The location is; C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\VC\vcpackages

ah ok, that is path issue that was fixed in a later release of Warble. Update the vcxproj file with the fixed version which should fix your build.

https://github.com/mbientlab/Warble/commit/fd044911c8be83b81c4d25d34d005bd1df75a894

• Eric,

I was able to clone warble and metawear SDK, however I still get the same error. I posted screenshots of the error, environmental variables, and folders I have been working with. The vcxproj file I am using is the version you posted above. I also have the correct packages installed to vs2019 as explained earlier.

• @tpgutowski said:
    Eric,

I was able to clone warble and metawear SDK, however I still get the same error. I posted screenshots of the error, environmental variables, and folders I have been working with. The vcxproj file I am using is the version you posted above. I also have the correct packages installed to vs2019 as explained earlier.

Installing the metawear package from pip is not the same as locally building those Warble changes.

• @Eric said:

@gabyc said:

@Eric said:

@gabyc said:
    kind regards

ah ok, that is path issue that was fixed in a later release of Warble. Update the vcxproj file with the fixed version which should fix your build.

https://github.com/mbientlab/Warble/commit/fd044911c8be83b81c4d25d34d005bd1df75a894

Updated the vcxproj file with the fixed version. However I still get the same error. I add log where can you see the error.

log.txt 10.3K
  • edited April 2019

@gabyc said:

@Eric said:

@gabyc said:

@Eric said:

@gabyc said:
    kind regards

Updated the vcxproj file with the fixed version. However I still get the same error. I add log where can you see the error.

Quoting myself from the previous post

@Eric said:

@tpgutowski said:
    Eric,

Installing the metawear package from pip is not the same as locally building those Warble changes.

Build Warble with those changes, which you were already doing in your first post.

• @Eric said:
    Build Warble with those changes, which you were already doing in your first post.

With those changes, I get other errors:

• edited April 2019

@Laura
    According to your suggestions, I have these results:
    1. VS libraries are installed

1. Location platform.winmd

2. pip is installed and works

3. environment variables (VS and Python)

Please, you can indicate the following steps since I am not sure.

• edited April 2019

@gabyc said:

@Eric said:

With those changes, I get other errors:

Those errors are unrelated to the platform.winmd issue; they don't affect the installation process via pip.

I just wanted to confirm that that specific change to the vcxproj file fixed the issue, which it looks like it did. I will update the Python warble package on testpypi with the latest Warble changes before pushing it to pypi.

• edited April 2019

Try installing warble v1.2.0 from testpypi. This contains the vcxproj change and should now successfully build with VS2017 Professional.

pip install -i https://test.pypi.org/simple/ warble==1.2.0

• @Eric said:
    Try installing warble v1.2.0 from testpypi. This contains the vcxproj change and should now successfully build with VS2017 Professional.

pip install -i https://test.pypi.org/simple/ warble==1.2.0

I installed warble v1.2.0 and metewear successfully. thanks!!!