On-Board Application

Hi,

I am trying to make an on-board application for my metawear. In my project, the idea would be that the sensors on the metawear would sense a certain amount of motion then send an alert to an iphone or another metawear. Here is a simple example:

Someone is running, when they start to run the metawear senses that event and sends an alert via bluetooth low energy to another metawear which would vibrate. It would also send the alert to a smartphone.  

I have bought the items from the firmware guide but am questioning if I am going about this process in the right way. I have a very limited knowledge of firmware and hardware. Also, due to the very small board, the level of detail soldering will be very difficult and the high temperature could pose problems too. Also, I am curious what the firmware does? is it solely based on monitoring power levels or what? My thoughts would be that if I could build a program similar to arduino and load it to the board that would be best. Is this possible? What is the easiest way to do this? Do I need to solder or can I just use the micro-usb to program?

I know there are a lot of questions here but I appreciate any help I can get. Thank you so much!

Comments

• edited March 2015
    asobol22,
    You program the MetaWear board with an App. You can send the board permanent or temporary commands. This means you do not need to write a single line of firmware code and you probably don't need to do anything on the hardware side.
    Try to take a look and play with the MetaWear sample iOS and Android App on the App and Google Play store and then look at the raw source code on Github and see first-hand how the API works.

I am curious what the firmware does? 
    The firmware is pre-loaded on the board and allows you to send commands to the board and retrieve data from the board through an App.
    is it solely based on monitoring power levels or what? 
    No, it is much more than that.
    My thoughts would be that if I could build a program similar to arduino and load it to the board that would be best. Is this possible? 
    There is no IDE, arduino, or firmware to write. You just write or modify our mobile Apps. This means you will be writing Java code and using Android Studio for Android App development OR you can use XCODE and objective-C development for iOS. 
    What is the easiest way to do this? 
    Start with our sample mobile Apps and play with them and read the source code.
    Do I need to solder or can I just use the micro-usb to program? 
    The micro-USB is just to program. All communications with the board happen over-the-air using Bluetooth.
This discussion has been closed.