Governmental qualification - what, if anything, more is needed to legally sell?

Modules are FCC qualified.

What more is needed to legally sell them, as part of a larger assembly, in the USA?
I'm anticipating only passives will be added to the sold-with-a-battery module.




  • Phil,

    Are you making an end product? Something with a case and packaging? Can you tell me a little bit more about your product and I can tell you how to sell it legally.
  • edited November 2015

    Basically you will need to apply for an FCC ID and certify the end product for un-intentional radiation by a TCB lab. The government has a list of TCB labs online that you can search, I just find one that is near me and call them as they will tell you exactly what you need to do. 

    Here is some information about the last product we approved (cont'd in two comments):

    -          The device contains a pre-certified module by FCC/IC/CE/Telec (Taiyo Yuden module on MetaWear)

    -          It is a battery powered device and the battery can be rechargeable via USB cable (no wall-wart)

    -          Note:

    ·         no RF characteristic change while implementing the module in the host.

    ·         testing covers EMC (un- intentional radiation) portion ONLY.

  • edited November 2015

    FCC/IC/CE/VCCI services

    -          FCC Part 15B/ICES-003 and VCCI Class B testing and report with DoV/AoC

    ·         Radiated emission below 1GHz (FCC/VCCI)

    ·         Radiated emission 1GHz-6GHz (VCCI)

    ·         Radiated emission 1GHz-13GHz (FCC)

    -          EN 301 489 testing and report with AoC

    ·         EN 61000-4-2 ESD

    ·         EN 61000-4-3 RF Immunity

    ·         EN 61000-4-8 Magnetic fields

    -          Estimated cost: less than $10K, can be as low as $2k

    -          Lead-time: about 2 weeks if no failure during testing

    -          Sample requirement: One (1) sample end product is required

  • The end product will have to be properly labeled with your FCC ID and might also need to contain the FCC ID of the Taiyo Tuden module (please check with your local TCB lab who will give you all the legal details as they are the proper authority on this).

    Depending on the type of product, you could also need more certification but that's also where the TCB lab comes in. This is the best site to get started:

    Let me know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.