What version of the SDK on R and RPRO?

Hi all,

I am using some Meta Wear R and RPRO which have a revision 2 chip and I am using nRF51 SDK 6.1.0 and SD s110 7.3.0.
From the compatibility matrix I know I could use SD S110 8.0.0 but I am wondering if I can use a more recent SDK, maybe 7.1.0 or above.

Did anybody use another SDK on these boards?

Thanks,
Alessandro

Comments

• @alessandromontanari

The SDK is more bound to the softdevice versions than the chip revisions, because the APIs change with each soft device revision.  Generally, if the softdevice release says that is compatible with rev2 silicon, then you should be able to use any SDK release that supports that softdevice.

It looks like the latest release that supports S110 8.0.0 is SDK v10.0.0.

Internally, we use SDK 5.2.0 and 6.1.0 on S110 with many backported libraries from the newer SDKs for Rev2, and SDK v11.0.0 on S110 and S132 for Rev3 and nRF52.  It is a single code base with some added abstractions to build on multiple SDKs and softdevices.  We have an extensive unit test suite across the firmware and mobile APIs which makes it safe for us to port libraries across SDKs and easily test changes on all hardware/softdevice platforms.

With each soft device release, Nordic publishes a guide for everything that changes to port forward a project which can be useful when considering changes from release to release of the SDK.  I believe it resides in the softdevice zips.

Cheers,
    Matt

This discussion has been closed.