Reconnect to board after app crash

I am having an issue connecting to the board (Metawear CPro and now MetaMotion R) after closing the app without disconnecting from the board gracefully (eg after the app crashes). When I try to connect again I receive the following exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke interface method 'void com.mbientlab.metawear.RouteManager$MessageHandler.process(com.mbientlab.metawear.Message)' on a null object reference
at com.mbientlab.metawear.impl.DefaultMetaWearBoard$45$1.run(DefaultMetaWearBoard.java:3964)
        at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:739)
        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:95)
        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:158)
        at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:7229)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:1230)
        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1120)

Since this exception occurs as soon as the board reconnects, I cannot remove any routes or stop any modules as I would do when disconnecting from the board gracefully.

When working with the CPro this was easily solved by removing the battery. However I can't do this with the MetaMotion R. Has anyone else had a similar problem to this and could give me some advice on how to solve this issue?

Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated :) Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.