Do Macros survive battery removal (or total power loss)?

Are Macros on MBient devices written to volitile memory that is lost when the battery is removed or are they flashed and survive loss of power? Do Macros share the same memory space as logs and is the same true for information logged on the device?

Comments

• edited January 2018
    Macros and logged data are written to the nand flash chip. They will persist through power loss.
  • Alright, well this question was prompted by an apparent loss of the flashed macro. Some MetamotionC devices that are being programmed with a startup macro to change the advertised name seem to operate correctly for some time (days) and then apparently, spontaneously and without any other interaction, revert to advertising the default "Metawear". Now since the macro is run at startup I can only assume that either the macro is lost and the device reboots, or for some inexplicable reason the advertised name reasserts itself. Can you shed any light on what might be happening here?
  • Hrm, well we'll have to determine whether the macro or ble ad is at fault.  A quick test would be to change the device name and see if it reverts back to MetaWear on its own and to have the macro do something like turn on the LED at boot and see if that fails after a power up.
  • I've done some more testing and it appears to be a problem with Apple's Bluetooth LE. When scanning from a PC (using my own App) I always see the name set in the macro. However, when using your software and a third-party LE App both on Apple iPhone 6 (11.0.3) & 7 (11.2.5) I've noticed that the third-party app will recognize the device but show no name. The MBient App I must therefore assume substitutes 'Metawear' under these conditions. When the third-party app recognizes the name set in the macro (the same one the PC App continues to see) the Mbient app shows the name set in the macro. It may be prudent to tweak your app to differentiate between an empty name and the name being advertised.
  • Has there been a version of the MetawearApiT,,, app released that specifically differentiates between the (No name) situation and displaying "Metawear" by default or at least refreshing the name periodically? It's frustrating having to switch to the MetaBase app to see the actual name being advertised by the device.

• No, there have not been any updates to that project. MetaWearApiTest is an example of how to use the Swift SDK not an end user app.

This discussion has been closed.