BLE Dongles - Connection Issues

Hello,

I am having some issues connecting to some sensors. Here are a few facts first:

This is using the MetaHub. I have verified that all 4 BLE Dongles work and are able to connect to the sensors. I have had all 4 dongles running at the same time, each connected to an individual MetaMotionR IMU. below is the command I would run:

sudo NOBLE_HCI_DEVICE_ID=1 npm start -- --device "F9:40:AD:AC:DE:9B=Left Foot" --sensor Euler\ Angles='{"accRange":4.0, "gyroRange":500.0}' --command stream

Quite frequently, a BLE Dongle (seemingly random) will say it can't find any devices, and terminate the app. Let's say I use hci2 and try connecting to a charged sensor. It fails, so I swap the BLE dongles out so a different one is now hci2 and it now works.

However, the one that I tried first, which i now hci1 will connect to the sensor that it previously failed to connect to.

I have tried to isolate what is going on but it seems to be at random, because sometimes it will work, sometimes it wont.

Other steps I have tried when I sensor is failing to connect is to reset the sensor, reset the hci 1 through 4, and disable and enabled bluetooth. All sensors are fully charged as well.

Again, I have verified that I have had them all working at the same time before (I would plug one dongle in, then connect it and start streaming, then put the second dongle in, and connect that to the second sensor, and so on, until 4 dongles were connected to 4 sensors.)

Is there any suggestions on what could be causing this, because I believe I have ruled out hardware failure for the most part.

Thank you for your help.

Comments

  • What's the output of hciconfig when all USB dongles are connected

  • edited October 8
    hci4:   Type: Primary  Bus: UART
        BD Address: B8:27:EB:34:A4:5B  ACL MTU: 1021:8  SCO MTU: 64:1
        UP RUNNING 
        RX bytes:813 acl:0 sco:0 events:53 errors:0
        TX bytes:2762 acl:0 sco:0 commands:53 errors:0
    
    hci3:   Type: Primary  Bus: USB
        BD Address: 00:15:83:EC:6D:D2  ACL MTU: 310:10  SCO MTU: 64:8
        UP RUNNING 
        RX bytes:658 acl:0 sco:0 events:44 errors:0
        TX bytes:2425 acl:0 sco:0 commands:44 errors:0
    
    hci2:   Type: Primary  Bus: USB
        BD Address: 00:1A:7D:DA:71:13  ACL MTU: 310:10  SCO MTU: 64:8
        UP RUNNING 
        RX bytes:1226 acl:0 sco:0 events:73 errors:0
        TX bytes:2794 acl:0 sco:0 commands:73 errors:0
    
    hci1:   Type: Primary  Bus: USB
        BD Address: 00:1A:7D:DA:71:13  ACL MTU: 310:10  SCO MTU: 64:8
        UP RUNNING 
        RX bytes:574 acl:0 sco:0 events:30 errors:0
        TX bytes:368 acl:0 sco:0 commands:30 errors:0
    
    hci0:   Type: Primary  Bus: USB
        BD Address: 00:1A:7D:DA:71:13  ACL MTU: 310:10  SCO MTU: 64:8
        UP RUNNING 
        RX bytes:574 acl:0 sco:0 events:30 errors:0
        TX bytes:368 acl:0 sco:0 commands:30 errors:0
    
  • Seems like using hci number does not in fact fix the issue with duplicate MAC addresses.

    Another using had the same issue and ended up assigning unique MAC addresses to each dongle:
    https://mbientlab.com/community/discussion/comment/8618

Sign In or Register to comment.