Losing Signal Outdoors

Has anyone had any trouble keeping the bluetooth connection when using outdoors? 

Comments

• I haven't heard of such an issue before.  How are you using the board outside?
  • I've been using it on the driving range to measure where the iphone is close by (within 5 to 10 feet). I haven't had any issue while using it indoors. Any idea what the issue could be?
  • I am not sure what could be wrong.  We put the metawear inside a nerf football and threw it around in the streets not problem.  I'll ask Laura to see if she might have any insight.
  • calebwong,

You might want to cover the board in hot glue or epoxy if you take it into an outdoor setting. It could be something as simple as shorting components or a lose battery wire and securing the board will make a big difference.

Also you could be in a place with a lot of interference such as cell phones (lots of other users and devices in the 2.4Ghz range creating interference) or lots of trees and structures (a gold course is definitely suspect).
  • The board is secure in a case so I don't think that is the issue. Do you have any recommendations for testing the signal strength and detecting possible interferences?

• caleb,

You need some pretty nifty equipment normally but for our purposes we use the sniffer dongle from Nordic to test signal strength of our boards.

What sort of tests are you running?
  • Do you have any specs for the antenna? Are there any antenna modifications to increase signal strength? 
  • caleb,

You can use our API to increase the gain on the antenna.
    Our antenna supports up to 2dbm; the default is 0dbm.
This discussion has been closed.