Device does not show up on the bluetooth list

Hello Mbientlab

Android version 7.1
Mbient lab 1.3.3
Mbient model 5

I cannot see my mbient device on the bluetooth list when I scan for bluetooth devices. I am using the Mbientlab app.

I have been able to scan, connect, and stream data with the device multiple times. 

At first the device could connect but did not stream data to the phone. Which is a huge problem but nothing compared to the problem that I am encountering now.

I have tried to restart my phone, charge the sensor, press the sensor button. Nothing helps.

Its now been four days since the problem starter and the device still doesnt show up in the bluetooth list.

I am using mbient lab as platform to develop a customer product. I am in the last phases of development and 100 customers has already preordered my product. It is therefore crucial that I get this issue solved as fast as possible and it should not involve and adhoc solution. I cannot tell my customers to soft/hard reset the device. I need a permanent solution.

Kind regards 
Kristian

Comments

• Could of additional questions for you:
    • How long did it take until your started seeing these issues?
    • How are you using the board in your product?
    • How was the board being used prior to this issue?
    • Have the boards been subjected to external forces such as being dropped?
    • Does the same issue occur with other metamotion boards?
  • edited January 2017
    The sensor is brand new.

The sensor stopped streaming after 5-10 successful connection. I was still able to connect to the sensor at this point but the sensor would not stream data.

The sensor no longer showed up on the Bluetooth device list. This happened after another 5-10 successful connection without being able to stream data.

This specific sensor has not been dropped or been subject to any kind og external forces. It has been sitting on my desk and connect to my PC with USB.

I have previously had bad experience with multiple sensors that could connect but not stream data. These sensors was model number 1.

My finished product will consist of a water/dust proof case. I do not want my customers access to the sensor for any reason. The product is plug and play.

I need to get this issue resolved ASAP. I am shipping my product in the beginning of March.

Let me know if you need further information
  • What android device are you using and can you post the MetaWear code you are running on the board?
  • I am using a  Nexus 5X.

Paste bin with relevant code:
    http://pastebin.com/20p80bF1
  • I got the service registered in the AndroidManifest:
    <service android:enabled="true" android:name="com.mbientlab.metawear.MetaWearBleService" />
  • Your code looks fine to me though I would recommend using the high frequency stream and decreasing the max connection interval to 7.25ms (11.5ms for Android M and later).

Will pressing the button cause the board to show up in the BLE scan?
  • I am rather unsure what the button actually does.

Can you enlighten me?

I have tried to press the button multiple times. And even holding the button down for 2-10 seconds. I have even tried to hold the button down as I connect it to bluetooth.
  • A button press is hardcoded to start BLE advertising. Do you at least see the board advertising after a button press?
  • The device does not show up on the bluetooth list in the mbient app when I press scan. I have enabled bluetooth on Android and the mbient app got the all the required permission.

I got a couple of older models laying around and these sensors shows up on the bluetooth list.
  • How come the button press is hardcoded to start BLE advertising?

I thought it was possible to program the button, e.g such that it would turn on/off the led?

Do I need to press the button each time I want to connect to the sensor?
  • The device is now showing up on the bluetooth list. This happened after i connected it to USB.

I have however tried this approach multiple times without any luck.

Do you have any idea why, I couldn't connect to the device for multiple days regardless of what approach that I tried?

I currently got a lot of preorders and I am expecting a big increase in demand once the my products has been official released. So I am very much relying on options and solutions from Mbient to resolve this problem and prevent similar problems in the future.
  • The button triggering ble advertisement is separate from the custom programming feature; it is there to as a fail safe to recover from accidentally setting the ble ad period to a small value.  You don't need to press the button to connect if it is advertising.

Perhaps your board was out of battery when you tried earlier.  Other than that, it's difficult to say as we do not have a board in this state.

Given that you going to launch a commercial product with our boards, you should consider contacting us about receiving personal support directly from the engineers, rather than using the forums, to address any issues you may have using the boards.
  • I checked the board battery about 10 minutes before I started to encounter the previously explained issues.

I have had the device plugged in the usb for multiple hours without anything happening.

My further questions will be send directly to the contact form or email listed on the contact page.
This discussion has been closed.