Cycling '74 Max/MSP and MbientLab -- how to interface with live stream data?

Hi all, has anyone tried streaming live data into Max/MSP? If so, please share your ideas.

What is the format for the streaming data from a MetaMotionR (for example)? I may be able to figure out how to receive it in Max/MSP.

Comments

• Which platform are you looking to develop on?

• I've explored this more fully since I posted my question, and it seems clear that Max/MSP does not support BLE, although there may be a workaround. I've been successful working with xOSC devices with onboard wifi transmitting UDP, and there has been some work using the Myo armbands streaming movement data using regular Bluetooth. General consensus on the Cycling '74 Max/MSP sites is that BLE will not be usable for the creation of interactive media because of the weak signals and environmental interference.

In answer to your question, I am proficient in Python so I could use that to develop solutions. I'm also very familiar with Max/MSP.

• In terms of platform, it would ideally be on the Mac.

• For Mac, we have a Swift SDK so you could use that to stream data from the boards to your Mac, then forward the data to Max/MSP.

Weak signals and environmental interference depends on where / how you are using the devices. For example, indoors within 10-15m is usually OK for doing high frequency streaming. That said, Bluetooth 5.0 is out, which may address the signal strength issues.

• Can you send me the link for the Swift SDK? I'll try it.

• I must admit I'm confused. I've downloaded Metabase and have no idea how to capture movement data using that app. I can capture data with the iPhone app, but then I can't stream it into the Mac to try using Max/MSP. I've read through the online documentation and Metabase on the Mac does not seem to fit into any of the images or descriptions. Suggestions?

• edited May 2018

@brendamc said:
    Can you send me the link for the Swift SDK? I'll try it.

https://github.com/mbientlab/MetaWear-SDK-iOS-macOS-tvOS

@brendamc said:
    I must admit I'm confused. I've downloaded Metabase and have no idea how to capture movement data using that app. I can capture data with the iPhone app, but then I can't stream it into the Mac to try using Max/MSP. I've read through the online documentation and Metabase on the Mac does not seem to fit into any of the images or descriptions. Suggestions?

The MetaBase app simply gets data from the sensors to your host device and stores the received data as CSV files. What you do with the data (in CSV form) is up to you.

If you are looking to receive data directly onto your Mac, then presumably to Max/MSP, you can use the aforementioned Swift SDK to build your own application.

• Yes, thank you. I'm new but I understand now what you're saying.

This discussion has been closed.