MetaMotionR sensors - max distance

Hi,
Can you please confirm about the max distance when we are using MetaHub for MetaMotionR sensors connect.
According our test sensors are less functional more then 18 feet and our needs up to 32 feet.
What you suggest.

Thanks
Roman

Comments

• What are these tests are you running?
    • What is your use case for these devices at 32feet?
  • Bluetooth is around 100ft - 30m but it highly varies with your surroundings, smart devices, and antenna gain settings. There is a nice overview here: https://blog.nordicsemi.com/getconnected/things-you-should-know-about-bluetooth-range

• Hi,
    I have one MetaMotionR Board connected to my iPhone and the Your app works perfect.
    The problem is that the range is max 6 feet.More than 6 feet the connection is lost.
    Please help.
    Nils

• @Sprettur,
    If you think the board is defective, just fill out an RMA form: www.mbientlab.com/troubleshooting. We will take care of you.

• @Laura said:
    @Sprettur,
    If you think the board is defective, just fill out an RMA form: www.mbientlab.com/troubleshooting. We will take care of you.

@Laura said:
    @Sprettur,

• Hi Laura,
    I received 2 (two) units and they are very similar. Very weak signal even with the iPhone
    close to the unit.
    My iPhone do not have any problem together with other BLE units.

• edited February 2019

@Sprettur,

One sensor malfunctioning could be a bad unit. But when more than one sensor is "malfunctioning", it is usually a symptom of something else (like your smartphone is old or you forgot to charge your sensors).

Try getting a few diagnostic reports with a good and know iOS Device like an iPhoneX. Get back to me.

• Hi,

I have the same issue, have just received 2 x Meta Motion C, just out of the delivery box, batteries are showing 100%, have tried them on several IOS devices and the signal is too weak for our project.

• @RPell said:
    Hi,

I have the same issue, have just received 2 x Meta Motion C, just out of the delivery box, batteries are showing 100%, have tried them on several IOS devices and the signal is too weak for our project.

How weak is "too weak"? Quantify your issue and provide more details.

• edited March 2019

Bluetooth 4.2 has a max theoretical range of 100m (outdoor line of sight).
    In typical applications the range is about 10m indoors and 50m outdoors.

What does "weak" mean? Are you sure you understand the range of BLE as per the spec?

Our Sensors transmit at 0db by default but our APIs give you programmatic access to the transmission power which you can change to 4db. This will increase the range.

Have you tried this?

• @Laura said:
    Bluetooth 4.2 has a max theoretical range of 100m (outdoor line of sight).
    In typical applications the range is about 10m indoors and 50m outdoors.

What does "weak" mean? Are you sure you understand the range of BLE as per the spec?

Our Sensors transmit at 0db by default but our APIs give you programmatic access to the transmission power which you can change to 4db. This will increase the range.

Have you tried this?

Hi Laura, is there a way to change the default behavior for the sensor so that any time we use the MetaBase app to record data the sensor transmits at 4db? Or can this only be done within the context of writing and using one's own app?

• edited July 2019

This can only be done using our APIs (this cannot be done in the Metabase App).