Cannot activate haptic vibration

Hi, I'm trying to activate the haptic component with the code below, nothing happens. what am I doing wrong? perhaps some initialization that should be done?

final Haptic boardHaptic = board.getModule(Haptic.class);
boardHaptic.startBuzzer((short) 500);

Comments

• Do you have a buzzer attached to the board?

• No I don't, I thought that the board (MetaMotionR) has this inside. can you explain how to attach a buzzer to the board? the only visible interface is the micro-USB used for charging

• The board has an HCD pin you can use to drive haptic devices. Check your board's datasheet to find where on the board the pin is located.
    https://mbientlab.com/documentation/

If you aren't experienced with soldering micro-electronics, MbientLab does attach buzzers to the board. You will have to talk to support to see what they can do about your specific order.
    https://mbientlab.com/product/buzzer/

• ruthif,
    If you are looking for the haptic version of the board, you simply need to purchase the MetaMotionR+ version of our board.

• MetaMotionR+ ? I see the MetaMotionR on the website and just purchased 10 a month ago. I'd like to use the HCD pin - does this mean that I don't have the right board? Or will the MetaMotionR work with the HCD pin to drive an external circuit?

• @CarltonGuc said:
    MetaMotionR+ ? I see the MetaMotionR on the website and just purchased 10 a month ago. I'd like to use the HCD pin - does this mean that I don't have the right board? Or will the MetaMotionR work with the HCD pin to drive an external circuit?

All boards have the HCD pin

• MetaMotionR+ has a coin vibration motor on it already placed on the HCD pin and ground. It is used to gently vibrate the board much like when your smartphone gets a call in silent mode. You can buy a coin vibration motor and solder it yourself to your MetaMotionR boards if you want to: https://mbientlab.com/store/coin-vibration-motor/

• Got it.... that's what I suspected, but wasn't sure as I was having difficulties enabling the HCD pin on a test MetaMotionR I need to do further testing. I might have a couple boards that are not functioning as expected or I'm missing something.

I connected a coin vibration motor to a test device and got it to work, however I connected it to another board and it didn't work. The only physical difference is the one that worked had a battery connected while the other board (that didn't work) was only connected to power via USB.

So a quick question before I continue to dig into testing, will the HCD pin work to control a motor if there is NO battery attached? My test seems to indicate that the battery HAS to be attached for the HCD pin to be able to drive a motor and that power from USB only will not work.

• @CarltonGuc said:
    So a quick question before I continue to dig into testing, will the HCD pin work to control a motor if there is NO battery attached? My test seems to indicate that the battery HAS to be attached for the HCD pin to be able to drive a motor and that power from USB only will not work.

Generally speaking, the MMR boards require the battery.