Battery expanded

So... after months I finally have a little time to think about tinkering with my metawears and I discover that one of my two batteries is now 'fat' and sort of squishy!  I'm going to assume using it would be dangerous :(

Comments

• Post a picture comparing the two batteries.
  • edited March 2015
    jmacgill,
    That is a battery failure, please dispose of it appropriately; this is extremely dangerous! A battery that is "fat and squishy" has permanently failed and can catch fire at any time.
    Please have a sand bath nearby in case of combustion and seek the proper authorities to dispose of the battery.
  • OK - will dispose of carefully.

How might I go about getting a replacement?  and how rare is this (will a replacement likely do this as well at some point?
  • edited March 2015
    jmacgill,
    Battery failures are about 1 in a million and there is no way to avoid them. Because it is a chemical system it is bound to fail occasionally; especially when rough-handled or exposed to extreme stress and conditions.
    You can buy new/replacement polymer batteries on Amazon or places like Adafruit.
  • "Battery failures are about 1 in a million and there is no way to avoid them"
    Guess I'm just very very unlucky then :(

"especially when rough-handled or exposed to extreme stress and conditions."
    I doubt sitting in a box on a self in my living room for several months counts as that!
  • jmacgill 
    Yes you are unlucky! That's ok maybe you will have good karma somewhere else to compensate.
    It is more likely that the battery was exposed during transportation/shipping/handling.
This discussion has been closed.