scan_connect.py error on ubuntu

Sorry, I assume this is a newbie issue, but I haven't found an obvious solution in the docs:

when running "sudo python3 scan_connect.py" I get

scanning for devices...
error 1578224918.101709: Error disabling scan:: Input/output error
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'BLEPP::HCIScanner::IOError'
what(): Error disabling scan:: Input/output error
Aborted

• As background info i'm running Ubuntu 18.04.3, and using Python 3.6.9
  • the install of metawear seemed to be fine

sudo -H pip3 install metawear
Collecting metawear
Collecting warble<2.0,>=1.1 (from metawear)
Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/5e/ac/56e3b66c494c367de6ac2a78524e67dc536b16352350e35565955a799464/warble-1.2.0.tar.gz
Requirement already satisfied: requests in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (from metawear)
Building wheels for collected packages: warble
Running setup.py bdist_wheel for warble ... done
Stored in directory: /root/.cache/pip/wheels/dd/bd/d2/54c5007fd4af8226dc697f751e98513f60688a5e7790e9c27e
Successfully built warble
Installing collected packages: warble, metawear
Successfully installed metawear-0.7.0 warble-1.2.0

• Running "sudo lsusb |grep Bluetooth" gives
    Bus 002 Device 006: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!!!!

Comments

• does it work with python2.7 or have you tried python3 on another machine?

• Ive tried on another machine (with python3) and have exactly the same problem

• What about the other python scripts? Have you tried those? Try the led one.

• Im guessing the led one wont work because i'm not providing an address.

When i try it it states

IndexError: list index out of range

• i thought I need scan_connect.py to work in order to determine the address to use with led.py?

• scan_connect and led now work. Ive bought a new usb dongle (I thought the one i had was linux compatible but changing to a different dongle works, so clearly my first dongle wasn't working properly). Also, I had permission issues, so i had to 'sudo - s' before running the python commands or use sudo for each command.

• I am having the exact same issue now.

scan_connect.py doesn't work. I have tried with both Bluez 5.48 (through sudo apt-get install bluez) and Bluez 5.54 (through manually installing the .tar.xz file from here). In version 5.54 I don't even find hcitool. Under default Bluez 5.48 it always returns Input/output error no matter how I turn the hcitool up/down/reset. I am using ThinkPad built-in bluetooth, so I cannot replace the dongle either.

led.py works if I specify the MAC address. I am not sure if scan_connect.py and led.py uses different scanners; otherwise I don't get why one works and the other doesn't.

Some more background info: under Bluez 5.54, in terminal, when I tried hcitool lescan it's telling me command not found, but bluetoothctl can scan just fine. Under Bluez 5.46, in terminal, hcitool lescan returns Input/output error.

• Did you run it with sudo?

• hello, i am running python 3.10 and having this same error