Local firmware update

I was unable to update my newly received C-Pro to current firmware using the android app. I inquired via the website contact form and was advised to use iOS. I can use a coworker's phone, but was curious if I could just use the manual update option with a file downloaded from firmware/current online.

If so, would I use the hex or the bin version? Or perhaps these files are only for use with the SDK, not the app?

My current version is 1.0.4.

Thanks for any suggestions.
John

Comments

• What is the issue you are having with the firmware update?
  • It said "upgrading, please wait" but stays at 0/100, then "reconnecting" and then "DFU failed unable to write op code error 1032" in my notifications.
  • edited March 2016
    That is pretty bizarre. A couple of questions about your situation:
    • What device and and Android OS are you using?
    • Does your co-worker's phone successfully update the board?
    You can try a manual update but I doubt it will make a difference.  This URL will point you to the latest available firmware hex file for C-Pro. 
  • edited March 2016
    HTC One m8 (sprint) running 5.1.1. I'm not in my usual building this week so I'm not sure I'll get a chance to try a co-workers phone until next week. My phone is rooted and running a cyanogen 12.1 release (not nightly build); I could try on the stock os?

Thought: does the app need root privileges?
  • Just tried the manual way. It goes through the same process, though this time I can see a message pop up at the bottom of the app in the background during the "reconnecting" phase. It says "Error connecting to device 129."
  • edited March 2016
    Progress! My wife's phone worked. I did notice it prompted for location access on her phone, but don't recall it doing that on mine.

I'm at 1.2.1 now, though the original reason I emailed Mbient was because I get the error "Color Detector module (sensor) is not supported on this board)". It seems to be on the specs for the C/CPro:

Lite-On LTR329 color and light sensor (PRO ONLY) 

The response to my inquiry was to upgrade the firmware, but this hasn't seemed to solve the issue. I can start a new thread if you prefer; otherwise, is this not implemented yet or is there something I've missed?
  • edited March 2016
    The app only requires Bluetooth permission to do the update, and location permission on Android M. I am not familiar with the cyanogen builds so I have no idea how well their Bluetooth stack works.

Ltr329 is an ambient light sensor. Where did you see it described as a color sensor? The PDF spec sheet and the store page both describe it as a light sensor.

The tcs34725 color detector is on the Env board:
    https://store.mbientlab.com/product/meta-environment/
  • edited March 2016

Re. the firmware, I'm all set. While I don't really get it and found it a bit frustrating, it's done so I'm a happy camper.

The reference to the LTR329 is right on your C series page.

I now see that the spec sheet matrix limits this feature to the Env board, but it is on the C page, which also features this line:

> The MetaWear C series comes in 2 flavors, the MetaWear C, and the MetaWear CPRO. 

It didn't occur to me that features would be listed for non-C/CPro families on the C/CPro page that says there are two versions, the C and CPro (not Env or R). Then again, there's mention of the R on the C/CPro page, so maybe I should have known better?

While we're discussing features, should the BMP280 temperature be available in the MetaWear app? I don't see anything on the screen when logging is on and I've selected that as the temperature source. The C/CPro page describes it as a "barometer and temperature sensor," but I see the spec sheet only refers to it as a barometer.

• I apologize for the confusion; the C webpage will reworded to avoid similar confusion and correct any discrepancies.

Yes, the BMP280 is a temperature sensor.  It needs to be started before it can read temperature.  You can switch to the barometer panel, start it, then switch back to the temperature panel.  I will streamline the process in the next update.
  • Thanks for updating, and for the quick info on getting up and running. Can't wait to put this to use for my applications!
This discussion has been closed.