External Thermistor Soldering

While I appreciate that the metamotionR IMU can measure temperature, I'd like to measure the temperature inside an individual's shoe while they run. We are considering using a simple thermistor and soldering it onto the IMU so that we could attach the IMU to the shoe and bluetooth the data. I personally do not have any experience soldering and am curious what considerations I need to make when purchasing a thermistor and soldering them together (one of our lab tech's discussed using an epoxy). I've found some info regarding python code to analyze the data within this forum, but any help on that end would be appreciated as well.

Comments

• edited November 2018

Maybe this guide on Adafruit can help:
    https://learn.adafruit.com/thermistor/overview

We do apply a dab of glue on the soldered area when attaching the LiPo batteries. You probably will want to do the same with your external thermistor.

• Thank you!

The guide above mentions converting the resistance change into a voltage change using an additional resistor in series. Would this still be necessary when attaching the thermistor directly to the board as opposed to an arduino as used in Adafruit's guide?

• @ddavis_biomech said:
    Thank you!

The guide above mentions converting the resistance change into a voltage change using an additional resistor in series. Would this still be necessary when attaching the thermistor directly to the board as opposed to an arduino as used in Adafruit's guide?

Yes.

You should really consult an electronics technician / someone familiar with electronic circuits before you proceed any further.

This discussion has been closed.