Streaming data directly to iPod touch

Hello everyone! Ok, here is my situation. I am using the meta motion R sensors for a research study. We are wanting to stream the data from the sensors to an iPod touch via BlueTooth. However, we wore the sensors for 2 days and we only got data for 90 minutes. Any help would be very much appreciated. We also looked into one more thing that Im hoping someone could help with that relates to this issue potentially– found at this link: https://mbientlab.com/cppdocs/0.11/mblmwdatasignal.html#streaming

We essentially want to stream the data directly to the iPod touch itself instead of storing it on the sensor itself. We ideally want to stream 3 sensors at 100 Hz to an iPod continuously. Is there any way this can happen? We would love to get as much data as possible.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited November 2019

You are streaming too fast and beyond the capabilities of Bluetooth Low Energy.
    BLE is 100Hz TOTAL.
    100Hz device to device. 100Hz per antenna, per dongle, per bluetooth smart device, per ipod, per iphone...
    BLE = 100Hz, that's the max speed of the link. This doesn't ever change.

So if you have 3 metamotionr streaming at the same time, the max each can do is 33Hz for mmr 1, 33Hz for mmr 2 and 33Hz for mmr 3. If you want 100Hz per sensor/device, you need to use more iPod Touchs.

So I recommend one Ipod per 1 metamotionr streaming at 100Hz. 2 metamotionrs needs 2 ipod touchs.

This is not practical so that's where the metahub comes in. The metahub can do multiple sensors at 100Hz at the same time because it can support multiple Bluetooth Low Energy dongle. Each dongle represents 1 iPod touch and therefore can stream at 100Hz per sensor. Since the hub can have 4 dongles on it at the same time, that's 4 sensors at 100Hz! No data loss! ... However, you need to be able to code well to get this working.

• @Laura Thank you SO much. This is very helpful. Any idea on how to get the metahub to work/how to start that process?

• @jhans you can check the documentation here. I haven't try it but i think you can find your way
    https://mbientlab.com/tutorials/MetaHub.html

• @jhans, follow @nekos's suggestion.