Bluetooth 5.1 direction finding

Is it possible to support direction finding after the new firmware update. Can we extract IQ signal data fron BLE packets?

Comments

• In-phase and quadrature-phase information. Are you using nRF52811 SoC?

• @nekos BLE 5.1 direction finding and long range are not supported on our existing products due to the chips they are based on. MMR and MMC use nRF52832. BLE5.1 offers channel selection algorithm #2 and 2MHz bandwidth.

• Are there any Plans from the side of mbientlab to support direction finding in a future product?
    This would significantly improve the feasibility of the use case I am looking for.
    I just want to ask to get an idea when to invest more time in the project.

• @Lomsor I have no concrete answer at this time. Note that with the introduction of nRF52833 there is an available SoC which supports both 5.1 direction finding and USB so it has recently become a possibility.

• Hey I just saw the Newsletter about the release of the MMS.

Now ... it seems that the current datasheets are not online on the Mbientlab website yet and the picture is too crummy to see which chip is on there now. Scratch that I just went back to the E-Mail and the picture there Shows a N52840. It doesn't really fit the Flash and Ram listings on the Mbientlab website though ... ?

Which specific NRF52xxx chip is now on the MMS?
    Of course I am (stil) interested in the original question posted here, that's why I am asking.

Thanks for the new selection of products by the way. :)

• Hey Lomsor, I am publishing the datasheet today.

• @Lomsor a number of factors went into the decision but MMS is based on nRF52840. The design should work with nRF52833 as far as I can tell but the first build is on nRF52840.